Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

problem when configure CESM1_02

d35n01:/u/luqf/cam_test $ /u/luqf/cesm1_0_2/models/atm/cam/bld/configure -dyn fv -hgrid 10x15 -ntasks 6 -nosmp -v

Physics package: cam5
Chemistry package: trop_mam3
CAM configuration script directory: /u/luqf/cesm1_0_2/models/atm/cam/bld
Configuration defaults file: config_files/defaults_trop_mam3.xml
CAM root directory: /u/luqf/cesm1_0_2
CAM build directory: /u/luqf/cam_test
CAM executable will be created in: /u/luqf/cam_test
User source directories:
Configuration cache file: /u/luqf/cam_test/config_cache.xml
Target OS: aix
SPMD parallelism: ON
Number of MPI tasks: 6
SMP parallelism: OFF
Component interface: mct
Dynamics package: fv
Number of user requested test tracers: 0
Age of air tracer package: OFF
Microphysics package: mg
Using uw PBL scheme.
Radiation package: rrtmg
Ocean package: docn
Land package: clm
CLM VOC emissions: OFF
Sea ice package: cice
Perturbation growth testing: OFF
CAM single column mode (SCAM): OFF
Produce IOP file for SCAM: OFF
Horizontal grid specifier: 10x15
Maximum number of columns in a chunk: 16
Number of vertical levels: 30
Advected constituents added by mg microphysics: 4
Advected constituents added by trop_mam3: 20
Total advected constituents: 25
Issuing command to the CICE configure utility:
/u/luqf/cesm1_0_2/models/ice/cice/bld/configure -hgrid 10x15 -cice_mode prescribed -ntr_aero 0 -ntasks 6 -nthreads 1 -cache config_cache_cice.xml -cachedir /u/luqf/cam_test
configure: CICE configure returned: -1

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
Your configure command works for me on both linux and aix platforms.

Try the following to get more information from the CICE configure command which is where the failure is occurring. Go to CAM's configure script (models/atm/cam/bld/configure) and at line 1354 you should see the following:

Code:
my $cice_config_commandline = "$cice_config -hgrid $hgrid -cice_mode prescribed -ntr_aero 0 ".
    "$cice_decomp -cache $cice_config_cache_file -cachedir $config_cache_dir";
This is the commandline that CAM's configure uses to execute the CICE configure. Add a "-v" option to this commandline to put the CICE configure in verbose mode and hopefully you'll get more information about what's going wrong.

Dear eaton
Thank you for your reply

I add -v as follow

my $cice_config_commandline = "$cice_config -hgrid $hgrid -cice_mode prescribed -ntr_aero 0 -v ".

but I can not see the detail
output still as follow
/u/luqf/cesm1.02/models/ice/cice/bld/configure -hgrid 10x15 -cice_mode prescribed -ntr_aero 0 -v -ntasks 6 -nthreads 1 -cache config_cache_cice.xml -cachedir /u/luqf/cam_test
configure: CICE configure returned: -1

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
Try to issue the cice configure command interactively:

% cd /u/luqf/cam_test
% /u/luqf/cesm1.02/models/ice/cice/bld/configure -hgrid 10x15 -cice_mode prescribed -ntr_aero 0 -v -ntasks 6 -nthreads 1 -cache config_cache_cice.xml -cachedir /u/luqf/cam_test

If that is failing then try going into the cice configure command and at line 34 you'll find

#use warnings;
#use diagnostics;

remove the comment (the #) from column 1 in these lines. Hopefully that will produce more information.

Have you been able to run configure successfully on this platform using earlier versions of cesm or ccsm? This appears to be a problem with the platform.

Dear eaton
Merry Christmas
Thank you for your reply
I find I have make a mistak
I add the chmod 777 configure for cice
Now when use
/u/luqf/cesm1.02/models/atm/cam/bld/configure -dyn fv -hgrid 10x15 -ntasks 6 -nosmp -v

the words become as follow

The configuration cache file will be created in /u/luqf/cam_test/config_cache_cice.xml
Horizontal grid specifier: 10x15.
cice : mode is prescribed
cice : ncat is 1
cice : grid is 10x15
cice : nlon is 24
cice : nlat is 19
ERROR: is not a valid value for parameter cice_decomptype: valid values are cartesian,spacecurve,rake,roundrobin
configure: CICE configure returned: 3328

Can you give me some suggestion
Thank you very much

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
When I modify CAM's configure to supply the -v option to the CICE configure, and then issue the same configure command as you, the output from the CICE configure is:

/project/cseg/eaton/cesm1_0_2_a/models/ice/cice/bld/configure -v -hgrid 10x15 -cice_mode prescribed -ntr_aero 0 -ntasks 6 -nthreads 1 -cache config_cache_cice.xml -cachedir /scratch/cluster/eaton/xxx
Setting CICE configuration script directory to /project/cseg/eaton/cesm1_0_2_a/models/ice/cice/bld
Setting CICE root directory to /project/cseg/eaton/cesm1_0_2_a
Setting CICE build directory to /scratch/cluster/eaton/xxx
The configuration cache file will be created in /scratch/cluster/eaton/xxx/config_cache_cice.xml
Horizontal grid specifier: 10x15.
cice : mode is prescribed
cice : ncat is 1
cice : grid is 10x15
cice : nlon is 24
cice : nlat is 19
cice : bsizex is 4
cice : bsizey is 19
cice : mxblcks is 1
cice : decomp type is cartesian
CPP definitions set by configure: ' -DCCSMCOUPLED -Dcoupled -Dncdf -DNCAT=1 -DNXGLOB=24 -DNYGLOB=19 -DNTR_AERO=0 -DBLCKX=4 -DBLCKY=19 -DMXBLCKS=1'

Are you working from an unmodified version of cesm1_0_2? If so the only thing I can suggest is to try downloading a new copy since it seems that something is corrupted in your current copy.

Dear eaton
I use the version 27 cesm1.0.2 and update today, but there is the same problem.
Is your mean I should download a steady version?
But I do not know how to download a steady version, I only can use update to get the code.
Happy new year !