Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Problem with mode installation

yukai

Hello, I found this problem when installing CICE mode. What is the reason?
cli_25]: write_line error; fd=16 buf=:cmd=init pmi_version=1 pmi_subversion=1
:
system msg for write_line failure : Bad file descriptor
[cli_25]: Unable to write to PMI_fd
[cli_25]: write_line error; fd=16 buf=:cmd=get_appnum
:
Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(474):
MPID_Init(152).......: channel initialization failed
MPID_Init(426).......: PMI_Get_appnum returned -1
[cli_26]: write_line error; fd=18 buf=:cmd=abort exitcode=1094415
:
How to solve this problem?

tcraig

This is almost certainly a problem on your system. Are you able to try a different compiler or different version of the MPI library? The model needs a consistent installation of compilers and related software like MPI. A quick google of the error message reveals a few ideas,

but I cannot say whether any are helpful. We are unlikely to be able to provide much assistance in resolving this issue. You should discuss the problem with your computer system administrators, confirm you are using the appropriate versions of the compiler and MPI lib, and see whether you can make some progress that way.

Separately, you could try running with a pe count of "1x1". This should "turn off" the MPI library in the code. It would be interesting to know if this helps, but would not be a long term solution.

yukai

Thank you!
"The model needs a consistent installation of compilers and related software like MPI."
What version of the compiler and mpi is consistent with the model?

tcraig

We test the model with various versions of the intel, pgi, cray, gnu, and nag compilers. And we test with different versions of MPI. A consistent version of compiler and MPI depends on your system installation. For instance, you generally want MPI and netcdf to be built with the same compiler that you're compiling the CICE model with. Normally, as CICE modelers, we are not involved in these steps. System administrators install the compilers and build the required libraries on the hardware, and we use them. If we have problems, we consult with the system administrators to help us resolve the problems. What kind of hardware are you working on? Is it a large shared system? Are you responsible for installing the compilers and other software?

yukai

I just installed the cice mode, but this problem occurred during the installation, I asked the administrator and he said it might be the mode problem.