Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Problems installing Column Radiation Model, using gfortran compiler. netCDF undefine

Hello all,

I am trying to compile and Install the Software Column Radiation Model (CRM) for scientific atmospheric applications. I am using UBUNTU 9.04.

Originally the code uses the PGF90 compiler, and I don´t have this compiler. I have gfortran 4.4. I am trying to make the translation to gfortran.
I am having some troubles:

gfortran-4.4 -o ../bin/crm ../obj/crm.o ../obj/netcdf.o ../obj/endrun.o ../obj/freemem.o ../obj/getmem.o ../obj/blkdat.o ../obj/resetr.o ../obj/orb.o ../obj/albocean.o ../obj/aermix.o ../obj/cldefr.o ../obj/cldems.o ../obj/fmrgrid.o ../obj/radabs.o ../obj/radclr.o ../obj/radclw.o ../obj/radcsw.o ../obj/radctl.o ../obj/radded.o ../obj/radems.o ../obj/radini.o ../obj/radinp.o ../obj/radoz2.o ../obj/radtpl.o ../obj/torgrid.o ../obj/trcab.o ../obj/trcabn.o ../obj/trcems.o ../obj/trcmix.o ../obj/trcplk.o ../obj/trcpth.o ../obj/zenith.o ../obj/intmax.o ../obj/isrchfgt.o ../obj/isrchfle.o ../obj/wheneq.o ../obj/whenfgt.o ../obj/whenflt.o ../obj/whenne.o -L/usr/lib -lnetcdf
../obj/netcdf.o: In function `nc_err_exit__':
netcdf.F: (.text+0xa2): undefined reference to `nf_strerror__'
../obj/netcdf.o: In function `netcdf_':
netcdf.F: (.text+0x146): undefined reference to `nf_create__'
netcdf.F: (.text+0x170): undefined reference to `nf_def_dim__'
netcdf.F: (.text+0x19a): undefined reference to `nf_def_dim__'
netcdf.F: (.text+0x1d7): undefined reference to `nf_def_var__'
netcdf.F: (.text+0x214): undefined reference to `nf_def_var__'
netcdf.F: (.text+0x251): undefined reference to `nf_def_var__'
netcdf.F: (.text+0x28e): undefined reference to `nf_def_var__'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [crm] Error 1

someone know how to solve this ??
I was read a lot of post with similar errors, and I think that this is linkage problem, but I couldn't solve it.

Really I will appreciate your help,

thanks in advance...
Javier.

rneale

Rich Neale
CAM Project Scientist
Staff member
This may have something to do with the double underscore in the linked references, whereas some c interfaces expect a single underscore.

There were some wierd problems with underscores when linking programs complied with gfortran after version ~4.2..... so you could give it try with netcdf compiled with different version of gfortran or using older version of g fortran like 4.0 or so...