Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Q about OCN_TRACER_MODULES, CCSM_BGC, OCN_CHL_TYPE and OCN_CO2_TYPE

Jingyi zhuo

Jingyi zhuo
Hi all,

A quick question about the meaning of the following parameters:

OCN_TRACER_MODULES
CCSM_BGC
OCN_CHL_TYPE
OCN_CO2_TYPE

Thanks in advance!

mlevy

Michael Levy
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Detailed documentation can be found in links from the CESM 1.2 Model Component Namelist page, but I'll give a brief overview
  1. OCN_TRACER_MODULES (found in env_build.xml): POP2, the active ocean component, always computes temperature and salinity. There are additional tracers that can also be computed, and they are broken into different modules that can be mixed and matched. Including iage in this variable will turn on the ideal age tracer; including cfc will turn on the two cfc tracers (cfc11 and cfc12, I believe). ecosys turns on the ocean BGC tracers, the exact count of which has changed over time so it will depend on which version of CESM you run. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 or 30 tracers, though.
  2. CCSM_BGC (found in env_run.xml): controls whether co2 fluxes from one component are applied to another (e.g. the land model can receive co2 flux from the atmosphere instead of reading it from a file or using a constant value)
  3. OCN_CHL_TYPE (found in env_run.xml): the ecosys tracer module compute chlorophyll; this flag determines whether that computed surface chlorophyll concentration is used to determine shortwave penetration, or if the model should use chlorophyll from a dataset. If the latter is selected, then turning on the BGC ocean tracers does not change the dynamics of the model (choosing the former means the BGC tracers feedback to the rest of the model)
  4. OCN_CO2_TYPE (found in env_run.xml): I believe the atmosphere model passes two different surface CO2 concentrations to the ocean / land models -- the prognostically computed CO2 concentration and one that is not determined from the atmospheric chemistry. This flag selects which of those two concentrations are used as a forcing for the ecosys tracer module. I am not familiar with the atmosphere model, so I don't know the details.