Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Question about emission files

jzweifel

jzweifel
Hello CAM-Chem people!

(Useful background information)
I want to assess my understanding of a change I made to one of my model runs pertaining to sulfate emissions.

I was looking to create a large crude plume of sulfate aerosols over the east coast of the United States. To do this I first tried to track down some files pertinent to sulfates so I went to my model's Buildconf and looked at the files and directories related to cam.

I eventually found a set of files about natural and anthropogenic sulfate emissions and decided to alter this one:

srf_emis_specifier for so4_a2 = /glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata/inputdata/atm/cam/chem/emis/CMIP6_emissions_2000climo/emissions-cmip6_so4_a2_anthro-res_surface_2000climo_0.9x1.25_c20170616.nc

For emissions in my east coast grid box, I decided to multiply their anthropogenic residential/travel emissions by 20 times and then re-upload that file in my user_nl_cam. (attached as an image below)

(Question 1)
My thought was/is that this file (a monthly climatology of CEDS data from 1995-2005) is used at every time step to reference local anthropogenic sulfate output, Is this correct? Is this file continuously used throughout my model run or I am mistaken?

(Question 2)
I have been trying to analyze this simulation run and verify that my crude so4 aerosol blob is indeed observable in the model output. I've been trying to look at variables like so4_a1DDF, so4_a1_SRF, ..., and so on for other sulfate aerosol sizes. I feel like what I've seen is kind of inconclusive.

Are these appropriate variables to be analyzing given my implemented file change? Is my increased sulfate aerosol production being realized, but its just not enough to be readily noticeable or am I missing something?

Any help with any of these questions would be invaluable! I appreciate the time and effort you all put into helping people like me so much!

Thank you!

Jack

Attachments

• aerosol_blob_dated_pic.PNG
    aerosol_blob_dated_pic.PNG
    94.1 KB · Views: 5