Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

question about quadratic ERROR

syang

Shawn Yang
Dear all,

I am currently running a reginal CLM case (I2000Clm50BgcCruGs). I used my own forcing dataset and domain maps. I am doing a 500-year spin-up. However, a quadratic error showed up after 100 years. In the cesm.log, it says "ERROR: Quadratic solution error" b^2 - 4ac is negative".

I looked up the guide and checked the similar questions in the forums. It probably resulted from the forcing dataset. However, I compared my dataset with GSWP dataset. All max, min, and mean values are similar and in the same level in the same region. Hence, I have no idea what caused this problem. If it is the problem of my forcing dataset, how can I track the errors and find the specific position of the error values in the forcing dataset? Any solutions will be appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• atm_log.png
    atm_log.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 12
  • cesm_log.png
    cesm_log.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 6
  • precip_streams.png
    precip_streams.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 6
  • solar_streams.png
    solar_streams.png
    32 KB · Views: 4
  • tpqw_streams.png
    tpqw_streams.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 12

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
What version of CLM are you using? There was a similar issue here that was fixed at some point:

syang

Shawn Yang
What version of CLM are you using? There was a similar issue here that was fixed at some point:

I am using cesm2.2.0 and clm5. I tried many ways but still can not skip the quadratic error.

syang

Shawn Yang
Did you try the code mods to PhotosynthesisMod.F90 that are shown here:

Not yet. Does that mean I need replace all code showed in PhotosynthesisMod.F90 with updated code in the link? Like the figure below

Attachments

• code.png
    code.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 12

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Right. Remove the code with the "-" at the beginning of the lines and replace with the code that has "+"