Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Question about technical note 2.7_(2.7.60 to 2.7.63)_How were the ranges of values for these hydraulic parameters in soil organic matter determined?

Shenning

Shenning Wang
Hello everyone,
I would like to draw on the ideas from FuncPedotransferMod to introduce new variables A and B in the CLM model through soil texture parameters such as Sand and Clay. However, I found the following description when calling the soil water characteristic curve in the initialization module SoilStateInitTimeConstMod:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipedof=get_ipedof(0)
call pedotransf(ipedof, sand, clay, &
soilstate_inst%watsat_col(c,lev), soilstate_inst%bsw_col(c,lev), soilstate_inst%sucsat_col(c,lev), xksat)

om_watsat = max(0.93_r8 - 0.1_r8 *(zsoi(lev)/zsapric), 0.83_r8)
om_b = min(2.7_r8 + 9.3_r8 *(zsoi(lev)/zsapric), 12.0_r8)
om_sucsat = min(10.3_r8 - 0.2_r8 *(zsoi(lev)/zsapric), 10.1_r8)
om_hksat = max(0.28_r8 - 0.2799_r8*(zsoi(lev)/zsapric), xksat)

soilstate_inst%bd_col(c,lev) = (1._r8 - soilstate_inst%watsat_col(c,lev))*2.7e3_r8
soilstate_inst%watsat_col(c,lev) = (1._r8 - om_frac) * soilstate_inst%watsat_col(c,lev) + om_watsat*om_frac
tkm = (1._r8-om_frac) * (8.80_r8*sand+2.92_r8*clay)/(sand+clay)+om_tkm*om_frac ! W/(m K)
soilstate_inst%bsw_col(c,lev) = (1._r8-om_frac) * (2.91_r8 + 0.159_r8*clay) + om_frac*om_b
soilstate_inst%sucsat_col(c,lev) = (1._r8-om_frac) * soilstate_inst%sucsat_col(c,lev) + om_sucsat*om_frac
soilstate_inst%hksat_min_col(c,lev) = xksat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to know how the value ranges for these soil hydraulic parameters in soil organic matter are determined, and if there are any corresponding references. If I want to similarly add other variables A and B, how should I determine their corresponding value ranges in soil organic matter?

I only found the description as shown in the figure in Technical Note 2.7, and I hope to get a more detailed explanation. Thank you.
1720882248879.png

slevis

I expect that the Technical Note and its references contain the most detailed explanations pertaining to these equations. I think you are likely best off digging into the relevant references and possibly contacting their authors.