Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Question on CTO3 and TAO3 in WACCM

Dear all

we running a setup with full MOZART chemistry and WACCM FV core. From our understanding CTO3 (O3 source and sinks due to chemical processes) and TAO3 (horizontal and vertical advection of O3) should give us the total ozone tendency. Hoewever if we calculate the the ozone tendency from our daily ozone output (=d(O3)/day) we do not get what we get when we calculate CTO3 + TAO3, i.e. why do the black and blue line not match? Do you have any idea what might be missing.

Sebastian

Dear allwe found the solution. We just got mixed with mol/mol and kg/kg. So there is no bug in CTO3 (O3 source and sinks due to chemical processes) and TAO3 (horizontal and vertical advection of O3) calculation. If you handle mol/mol etc correctly CT_O3 and TAO3 pretty much exactly match the total ozone tendencySebastian

wmingch@uw_edu

Hi, I wonder do you know the difference between O3_Prod and O3_CHMP. It seems based on output, O3_CHMP is "chemical production rate" in a unit of /cm3/s; for O3_Prod, it is in a unit of molecules/cm3/s. I think ct_O3 is equal to O3_prod minus o3_loss (not O3_CHMP minus O3_CHML). It would be much appreciated if you could provide some hints. Thanks!

Best,
Mingcheng

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hello Sebastian and Mingcheng,

I am moving this thread to the WACCM forum, so that it will more likely be seen by experts in WACCM and/or MOZART, who will hopefully be able to provide the answers you are looking for.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Jesse