Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

questions about grazing in CLM5

liliyao

Xinamai
Hi,

I have a question on the grazing rate on the land use timeseries files for different SSP-RCP scenarios from NCAR inputdata website, e.g.,
The grazing rate is -9999 on the land and 0 on the ocean. And the values do not change with time. I am curious why the grazing rate is always -9999 and 0, is it because grazing is not enabled in CLM5?

Another related questions:
  1. can I turn off the grazing through the namelist item?
  2. Based on my reading of src/biogeochem/dynHarvestMod.F90, "do_harvest=.false." is used to turn off only the wood harvest, it cannot turn off the grazing or crop harvest. Is it correct?

Thank you very much!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Right, there is no grazing in CLM5. do_harvest only turns the wood harvest on and off.

liliyao

Xinamai
Thank you for the clarification! May I ask if there is any special reason to include the grazing rate in the surface data and land use timeseries file even though CLM5 actually does not model grazing?