Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Questions about "hybrid" and "RUN_REFDATE"

Status
Not open for further replies.

yugong

yugong
Hello everyone, I am new to CESM. I have learned a lot from this forum, but I still have some questions about "hybrid" and "RUN_REFDATE".

When i create a new case with ./create_newcase --case B1850 --compset B1850 --res f09_g17, and then ./xmlquery RUN_REFTYPE
I expected it to return "startup", since it's a new case. But it returns "hybrid", which really confuesd me.

After further check, i found this new case has a RUN_REFCASE: b.e21.B1850.f09_g17.CMIP6-piControl.001_v3hist

1. So my first question is: Does B1850 is actually created based on another case? Under what conditions can one create a "startup" case?

2. my second question is that i found REFDATE=0134-01-01, what does it mean? Does it indicate that the case has run for 134 years, and B1850 was created using the output from the 134th year? Additionally, RUN_STARTDATE=0001-01-01, what does it mean? why it is not 1850-01-01? What would happen if I executed ./xmlchange RUN_STARTDATE=1850-01-01

3. I know CESM2 Component Sets Definition gives a very brief description about compsets. Is there some ways i can know more details of each compset?

Could anyone provide some answers? Thank you very much!

slevis

I answered the same question here:

Status
Not open for further replies.