Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Questions on different versions of urban raw data

KeerZ

Hi All,

While I am using the mksurfdat tool, I found that there are three versions of present day urban raw data at /glade/p/cesm/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/. They are mksrf_urban_0.05x0.05_simyr2000.c120418/c120621/c170724.

By default, the mksurfdat tool will use the c120621 version urban raw data to generate any surface dataset at 2000. I am curious why the newer version of c170724 is not used here? I downloaded the c120621 and c170724 versions and found they have different values for many variables (e.g. ALB_IMPROAD, EM_IMPROAD, nlevurb...). I think running simulations with different versions of urban properties will impact the urban results to some extent.

I am wondering what is the reason to change these urban properties in the c170724 raw data compared to the c120621 version? Which version of urban raw data have more accurate urban properties and is preferred to use?

Thank you very much!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The newer version (c170724) was made available as an optional new raw urban dataset as documented in:

Oleson, K.W., and J. Feddema, 2019: Parameterization and surface data improvements and new capabilities for the Community Land Model Urban (CLMU), JAMES, 11, doi:10.1029/2018MS001586.

It will eventually become the default in CLM/CTSM. I recommend using the newer version.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you are creating surface datasets using the newer version and are using the mksurfdata tool, you'll need to change "nlevurb" from 5 to 10 in tools/mksurfdata_map/src/mkvarpar.F90, i.e.,

integer, parameter :: nlevurb = 10 ! number of urban layers

and to run the model with this data you'll need to change nlevurb from 5 to 10 in src/main/clm_varpar.F90, i.e.,

nlevurb = 10

KeerZ

If you are creating surface datasets using the newer version and are using the mksurfdata tool, you'll need to change "nlevurb" from 5 to 10 in tools/mksurfdata_map/src/mkvarpar.F90, i.e.,

integer, parameter :: nlevurb = 10 ! number of urban layers

and to run the model with this data you'll need to change nlevurb from 5 to 10 in src/main/clm_varpar.F90, i.e.,

nlevurb = 10
Got it! Thank you, Keith!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I should also note that there is also a new building temperature streams file which isn't needed as input for mksurfdata but should be paired with any surface datasets made with the new raw urban data when running the model. It is specified by stream_fldfilename_urbantv in the lnd namelist.

/glade/p/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/urbandata/CLM50_tbuildmax_Oleson_2016_0.9x1.25_simyr1849-2106_c181017.nc