Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Restart files and all model vertical levels data for CESM2-AMIP (GOGA) experiments

cmdong

Cameron Dong
Hello,

I am hoping to run some CAM perturbation experiments over the period roughly 1980-2020, branching from the GOGA experiments and comparing the perturbation experiment results with them. I have been looking through the available data on Glade (/glade/campaign/cesm/development/cvcwg/cvwg/f.e21.FHIST_FSSP370_BGC.f09_f09.ersstv5.goga), and there doesn't appear to be any restart files at intermediate time steps. Also, there only appears to be daily and hourly data stored at a few specific vertical levels (whereas it would be necessary to have data at all levels to design a nudging in conjunction with reanalysis data).

Is any of this data and restarts stored elsewhere and possible to make available? Thank you in advance for any help!

Best,
Cameron

islas

HI Cameron,

Unfortunately I don't think we saved interim restart files for the GOGA simulations. Maybe there's some way you can make use of atmosphere and land restarts from other experiments but without knowing more details about your plans, I don't have a clear idea of what to suggest. We do have some restarts for the CESM2 large ensemble /glade/campaign/cgd/cesm/CESM2-LE/restarts and you could take the atmosphere and land initial conditions from there, but these would differ from the GOGA runs as a result of the differing SSTs i.e., these come from a coupled simulation as opposed to a prescribed SST simulation. Another option would be that you could run your own FHIST_BGC case with 1980 conditions with the GOGA SSTs prescribed (note that they are different from the out-of-the-box SSTs in an FHIST_BGC case) for a few years to allow the land to spin-up or run to produce your own restarts. Again, it depends on what exactly you want to to. If you're looking at the long term evolution over 1980 to 2020, the atmospheric initial conditions probably don't matter too much and you could just use those from the coupled run but maybe how you start the land is more of a concern. But unfortunately I think you might have to achieve this in some other way without the GOGA restarts.

We also did not output any additional data that can be used to nudge the model circulation to that of the GOGA simulations. If you want to do nudging experiments, you could consider nudging toward a reanalysis like ERA5.

Isla

cmdong

Cameron Dong
Hi Isla,

Thank you for the response and information. Our goal was to nudge the tropical atmosphere with reanalysis anomalies on top of the GOGA climatology, to assess the strength of tropical forcing on extratropical seasonal weather, compared to solely ocean SST forcing.

Will probably do as you've suggested and run some experiments using restarts from CESM2-LE over that time period, using the identical compset and ERSSTv5 SST's.

Thanks again for the help!
Cameron