Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

RTM on coarser grid

Dear all,

I'd like to use a coarser grid for my coupled ccsm run.
Instead of the 0,5 deg grid we prefer to use a T42 resolution. This works fine, but I think I have to change the velocity and/or the frequency of this module, default is 3 hrs.
The reason why I think I have to change this is that it takes longer for a river to flow over a coarse grid cell. Especially during spinning up, so this issue will cause different equilibria depending on its velocity.

Does anyone have experience with this and knows some proper values? Many thanks in advance!

cheers car

slevis

Hi,

When you run the ccsm at some resolution other than 0.5x0.5 degrees, the RTM still runs at 0.5x0.5 degrees. It is hardwired to do so. Therefore, I do not think that you should change anything.

Sam Levis
CLM Scientific Liaison

Hi,
thanks for replying!
Of coarse, I know the 0.5 deg is better. However when you do not use the topography of present-day, you face a problem, as it is practically impossible to construct a proper rdirc file on a 0.5 deg grid.

Therefore, a known practice in paleo runs is to use the same gridsize as the land topography, T42. By doing this the dimensions and grid specifications have to be declared properly. And this works fine. The coupler, clm and pop data show proper mappings.

However, still the effective velocity of 0.35 m/s should be higher. And I was wondering if the frequency of /9timesteps is sufficient. So, I hope if someone have some experience in doing this. Thanks in advance!

car