Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Run test case with INPUT

zzzimor

Zhao Zhangzhe
Hi, I am new in MOM6 and facing some problems:
I use my own computer with a virtual machine as a platform shown below:
Code:
Linux zhangzhe-VirtualBox 5.11.0-40-generic #44~20.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 26 18:07:44 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I have followed the instructions (Ubuntu compiler environment · NOAA-GFDL/MOM6-examples Wiki) to finish compiling and running some cases without INPUT (e.g. double_gyre). I tried a lot to run other cases but failed.
When I tried
Code:
mpirun -n 1 ../../build/gnu/shared/repro/MOM6
and
Code:
mpirun -n 12 ../../build/gnu/shared/repro/MOM6
, the situation became different.
Code:
mpirun -n 12
had a one-day result and then broke. The same is the error message: invoking MPI_ABORT causes OPEN MPI to kill all processes. Here are the error message: 1.png2.png
Thanks.

marshallward

Marshall Ward
`ocean_only/global` is one of the larger tests in MOM6-examples, and you are probably pushing against the limits of your machine.

It appears to be pre-configured for 64 ranks (CPUs); see MOM_parameter_doc.layout. If you were to run with a lower CPU count (1 or 12) then most of the fields in each rank would become larger and eventually cause an overflow of the "mpp stack" (an internal memory in the FMS library used for message passing). Most of those numbers do self-adjust, but some of the non-ocean components do not. But often if you need to change them, then you are in danger of running out of memory.

You could toggle these number in input.nml, but you may find that you need bigger computer if you want to run that test.

zzzimor

Zhao Zhangzhe
`ocean_only/global` is one of the larger tests in MOM6-examples, and you are probably pushing against the limits of your machine.

It appears to be pre-configured for 64 ranks (CPUs); see MOM_parameter_doc.layout. If you were to run with a lower CPU count (1 or 12) then most of the fields in each rank would become larger and eventually cause an overflow of the "mpp stack" (an internal memory in the FMS library used for message passing). Most of those numbers do self-adjust, but some of the non-ocean components do not. But often if you need to change them, then you are in danger of running out of memory.

You could toggle these number in input.nml, but you may find that you need bigger computer if you want to run that test.
Thanks for your reply and advice. I will follow and try other methods.