Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Running interpinic

aberg

Hi, last week I had posted about trouble using mksurfdata. I have gotten that to work and used mksurfdata to create a 1.9x2.5 surfdata file with modified PFTs to use as my fsurdat file when running the model. However, I got these errors when running the model (CESM1_0_3):

ERROR: PFT weights are SIGNIFICANTLY different from the input finidat file and fsurdat file(s).

ERROR: Run interpinic on your initial condition file to interpolate to the new surface dataset.

ERROR: Weights between initial condition file and surface dataset are too different.

So it's clear what the problem is and it says I need to use interpinic. However, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to use as the input file and the output file when running interpinic. Also, the initial condition file that the model appears to be using (/fis/cgd/cseg/csm/inputdata/lnd/clm2/initdata/clmi.BCN.2000-01-01_1.9x2.5_gx1v6_simyr2000_c100309.nc) and my fsurdat file both are the same resolution, 1.9x2.5, and I thought interpinic was just for changing the grid resolution of the initial condition file? (Maybe I'm misunderstanding here)

So would running interpinic solve this problem for me, and if so, what files do I use for input and output when running interpinic?

Thanks!

slevis

I think that you will find this info in a README in the interpinic directory and possibly also in the clm user's guide.

Input file (which contains spun up initial conditions): /fis/cgd/cseg/csm/inputdata/lnd/clm2/initdata/clmi.BCN.2000-01-01_1.9x2.5_gx1v6_simyr2000_c100309.nc

Output file (consistent with your fsurdat file but does not contain spun up initial conditions until after you run interpinic): Generate this file by setting finidat=' ' in clm.buildnml.csh and running your case for a day. If you don't get a restart file at the end of a day, you may need to change a setting (e.g. in env_run) for the model to do so.

Sam

PS. Curious how you got mksurfdata to work. Could you post something in the corresponding thread?

liunanjian

liunanjian
May I ask if you got this problem solved? I am currently using CESM 2.1.3 and I am experiencing a similar problem, can you tell me how to fix it? Thank you very much!

slevis

@liunanjian the above information is obsolete, because interpinic is not a separate tool anymore. It's built into the CTSM and can run at the beginning of your simulation by setting use_init_interp=.true. in the namelist. I hope this helps.