Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Seeking Guidance for CLM BGC Spin-Up

liliyao

Xinamai
Hi,

We are seeking guidance for the CLM BGC spin-up. We have reviewed the previous posts on this forum regarding this topic, but our confusion remains unresolved. Therefore, we would like to pose some questions regarding the BGC spin-up.

We need to perform CLM BGC simulations for the future (2015-2100) with our own climate forcing and land use land cover change data at the CONUS scale with 1/8 degree resolution. Our own LULCC info were generated based on Global Change Analysis Model (GCAM) output downscaled by DEMETER model.(The GCAM model is publicly available at GitHub - JGCRI/gcam-core: GCAM -- The Global Change Analysis Model. The Demeter model is publicly available at GitHub - JGCRI/demeter: A land use land cover disaggregation and change detection model)

Since these are BGC runs, we need to perform a spin-up to reach equilibrium conditions. In our understanding, the initial equilibrium should be achieved for the preindustrial conditions of 1850 by using the 1850 surface dataset, fixed atmospheric CO2, fixed N deposition, fixed aerosol deposition, and by recycling climate forcing. Secondly, we perform transient historical simulations from 1850-2015, followed by future simulations from 2015-2100 with transient CO2, N deposition, aerosol deposition, climate forcing, and land use timeseries file.

However, we don't have our own GCAM-based LULCC data for the historical period. We are uncertain about the reasonableness of performing a spin-up (1850, AD + final spin-up) and transient simulation (1850-2015) using the surface dataset and land use timeseries from the NCAR CCSM input data repository, and then conducting future simulations using our own GCAM-based land use timeseries file. Our guess is that we won't be able to use the restart file from the end of the historical transient simulation for our future simulation due to inconsistencies between the two LULCC datasets, i.e., NCAR's historical and our own GCAM-based future land use timeseries. Is there any namelist option to bypass this inconsistency? We are aware of check_dynpft_consistency, but our understanding is that it only avoids checking for consistency between pct_nat_pft from the landuse_timeseris file and pct_nat_pft from the surface dataset instead of between two land use time series.

On the other hand, we have noticed that some researchers do spin-ups for the year when the actual simulation takes place. For example, they perform a spin-up using 2000 surface data (and other data such as nitrogen deposition) before starting a 2000-2015 run. We are unsure about the potential differences in the spin-up results between these two methods and whether such differences could have a significant impact on BGC processes.

We are eager to receive any guidance or suggestions regarding our spin-up process. Thank you very much for your assistance!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
In my mind, the objective is to begin the 2015-2100 simulation with initial conditions that reflect as accurately as possible the land surface conditions that result from what happened to the land surface from pre-industrial time up to present day, to the extent that we can get those historical forcings right. Those land surface initial conditions are a function of the transient forcings such as climate, land cover change, CO2, nitrogen and aerosol deposition, etc. For example, the CESM2 ScenarioMIP simulations were initialized with conditions from the end of the CESM2 historical simulations.

However, since you don’t have GCAM LULCC or climate forcing datasets for the historical period and your climate forcing is probably different from what we use in an I-compset anyway, and because CLM should provide some kind of present day initial conditions for an ISSP compset, you could probably get away with a present-day spinup to allow the provided initial conditions to adjust to the GCAM LULCC datasets and climate forcing. Or you can do an AD and final spinup at present day starting from cold start initial conditions (finidat=’ ‘) instead of the initial conditions provided if you think your present day climate forcing and landuse is quite different from what CLM usually uses. It seems like that might be preferable since you are running at 1/8 resolution over just CONUS and the initial conditions provided by CLM will typically be on a global grid at 1 or 2 degree resolution.

In general, if you set use_init_interp=.true. the model will interpolate the initial conditions to the initial landcover as represented by the surface dataset. I think this will still work when going from a 1 or 2 deg global grid to a 1/8 regional grid but I haven’t had any experience with that.

Just my personal opinion, others may differ.

liliyao

Xinamai
Hi Dr. Oleson, thank you very much for sharing your opinion. Yeah, we agree that do an AD and final spinup at present day starting from cold start initial condition will be a more reasonable method in our case, considering that our climate forcing and LULCC are different from what CLM usually uses.

liliyao

Xinamai
In my mind, the objective is to begin the 2015-2100 simulation with initial conditions that reflect as accurately as possible the land surface conditions that result from what happened to the land surface from pre-industrial time up to present day, to the extent that we can get those historical forcings right. Those land surface initial conditions are a function of the transient forcings such as climate, land cover change, CO2, nitrogen and aerosol deposition, etc. For example, the CESM2 ScenarioMIP simulations were initialized with conditions from the end of the CESM2 historical simulations.

However, since you don’t have GCAM LULCC or climate forcing datasets for the historical period and your climate forcing is probably different from what we use in an I-compset anyway, and because CLM should provide some kind of present day initial conditions for an ISSP compset, you could probably get away with a present-day spinup to allow the provided initial conditions to adjust to the GCAM LULCC datasets and climate forcing. Or you can do an AD and final spinup at present day starting from cold start initial conditions (finidat=’ ‘) instead of the initial conditions provided if you think your present day climate forcing and landuse is quite different from what CLM usually uses. It seems like that might be preferable since you are running at 1/8 resolution over just CONUS and the initial conditions provided by CLM will typically be on a global grid at 1 or 2 degree resolution.

In general, if you set use_init_interp=.true. the model will interpolate the initial conditions to the initial landcover as represented by the surface dataset. I think this will still work when going from a 1 or 2 deg global grid to a 1/8 regional grid but I haven’t had any experience with that.

Just my personal opinion, others may differ.
Hi Dr. Oleson, I have a follow-up question about the historical LULCC data for CLM: Are there historical (from 1980) surface datasets and land-use time series (or their raw data) that are driven by the ERA5 atmospheric forcing? We have our own climate forcing downscaled from ERA5 starting from 1980 to 2100. Our land-use/land-cover (LULC) product was driven by this climate data but has a shorter temporal coverage (from 2015). Therefore, I am wondering if it is possible to find existing CLM surface and land-use time series files that are also driven by ERA5 atmospheric forcing. If so, I could perform a historical simulation starting from 1980. Thanks!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm not aware of any simulations available that were forced by ERA5.