Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Soil C concentration

Chr

Christian Dold
All,

I calculated Soil C concentration (%SOC) from CLM5 SoilC_vr and soil bulk density outputs as:

%SOC = SoilC_vr (g/m3) / soil_bulk_density (g/m3) * 100

The calculated values make sense, however, I noticed that bulk density and vertically resolved soil C are not connected to each other in the CLM5 code. In fact, soil bulk density appears to be soil bulk density of wet soil:

soil_bulkdensity(c,j) = bd(c,j) + h2osoi_liq(c,j)/col%dz(c,j)
bd = (1._r8-soilstate_inst%watsat_col(c,lev))*2.7e3_r8
soilstate_inst%watsat_col(c,lev) = 0.489_r8 - 0.00126_r8*sand

bd = bulk density of dry soil material [kg/m^3]
h2osoi_liq = liquid soil water (kg/m2)
watsat = volumetric soil water at saturation

Therefore my question, if this is a reasonable approach to acquire %SOC? And if not, if there is another way to calculate it.

Thanks a lot.

wwieder

Will Wieder
Hi Christian,

I'm assuming you want to compare the soil C stocks in CLM to an observations that uses %C for some reason? I can think of a few options moving forward, neither of which may be very helpful...
1) estimate bulk density from soil properties. That's what we're doing in the bd calculation you cited, basically a function of porosity (1-watsat), which is just a function of soil texture (here sand).
2) pick a different pedotransfer function for bulk density and use the surface dataset (this is pretty similar to #1), but adds a challenge that many of these pedotransfer functions use %C too...
3) use a pedotransfer function to calculate the C stocks from the %C values for (basically make observations fit the model, instead of the model fitting the obs).

Does any of that help?

Chr

Christian Dold
Will, your assumption is correct! I want to compare my simulated carbon density soilc_vr (g/m3) with observation data. I have both, bulk density (BD) and %SOC from field measurements, and carbon density as %SOC * BD.

My initial thought was that soilc_vr is connected to soil_bulkdensity, and was surprised that it is not.

My idea was to calculate CLM5 simulated %SOC as soilc_vr/soil_bulkdensity, and then see whether the simulation error originates from BD or %SOC. But this seems off the table.

I might pursue your first suggestion, maybe I can figure out a way to set the output variable soil_bulkdensity to bd insead of soil_bulkdensity.

demibing

May I ask how to use clm to estimate soil carbon stock? which ccomposet should I choose? Is there any references or documents?
Look forward to your reply
Thanks a lot !

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member