Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Soil Moisture Levels in Deeper Layers

Gamling Dang

gamlingdang
Hi. I have configured the soil layer structure to use the predefined '20SL_8.5m' setting, aiming to explore the interaction between soil moisture and groundwater at various depths. However, I have observed the soil moisture values appear to be consistently zero throughout the simulation period for soil layers deeper than the eighth level (levsoi > 8).

I have checked the initialization conditions and ensured that the simulation length and input parameters (such as precipitation) should allow for soil moisture infiltration and accumulation in deeper layers. I used the BGC model with a single-point case.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

slevis

I do not know specifically in your case, but I suspect that the model has bedrock below a certain soil level and this may explain the zero soil moisture.