Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Something wrong when executing cice.build file

CST1996

Shutao Cao
Dear developer of CICE,
I came across some trouble when testing CICE model. When I try to execute cice.build, the error is reported:
"-bash: ./cice.build: /bin/csh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory"

So what should I do to resolve it?

Look forward to your reply.
Thanks and best wishes.

Sincerely,
Shutao Cao

tcraig

Would you try the following, edit cice.build and remove the space before "/bin/csh" in the first line. Does that fix the problem?

Were you able to run cice.setup without any problem?

CST1996

Shutao Cao
I tried as you said, but the same error is still reported.
As for cice.setup, the same error with above-mentioned.

tcraig

First, in general, if you follow the user guide, you should run cice.setup before you run cice.build. So I'm not sure how you got to the cice.build failure before the cice.setup failure. But putting that aside, I think that means csh is not installed on your system or not in the standard way.

Does /bin/csh exist? If not, can you ask your system administrators whether csh is installed on your machine and if they could create a link from /bin/csh to it? If they are not willing to do that, then you could change /bin/csh in the scripts files to the location of the csh install and see if that helps. It could be some other problem, but this is where I would start.

We have run into a few, rare situations where csh is a problem. In the future, we may shift the scripts implementation to bash or python, but that's not a short term solution. Let me know if you sort this out.