Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

SOS: clm3.5 mksurfdata run error

Hi,

I am a newer for CLM and working at a pc-Linux system. The compiler is PGI6.1.
Now I am going to do a single gridcell run using the newest CLM3.5.

When compiling the mksurfdata at the directory "~~tools/mksurfdata/", some warning message are like the following:
pgcc -c -DNO_SHR_VMATH -DOFFLINE -DLINUX -DFORTRANUNDERSCORE -fast -I. -I. -I../../src/csm_share/shr -I../../src/utils/mct/mpi-serial -I../../src/main -I/mnt/data/clm35/netcdf/include ../../src/utils/mct/mpi-serial/time.c
PGC-W-0114-More than one type specified (/misc/slackware_local/pgi/linux86/6.1/include/sys/types.h: 104)
PGC-W-0143-Useless typedef declaration (no declarators present) (/misc/slackware_local/pgi/linux86/6.1/include/sys/types.h: 104)
PGC/x86 Linux/x86 6.1-2: compilation completed with warnings

When running the mksurfdata, the following error occurs:
Attempting to make LAIs/SAIs/heights .....
(GETFIL): attempting to find local file mksrf_lai.060929.nc
(GETFIL): using /mnt/data/clm35/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_lai.060929.nc

(GETFIL): attempting to find local file mksrf_lai.060929.nc
(GETFIL): using /mnt/data/clm35/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_lai.060929.nc
read_domain read lon and lat dims
read_domain initialized domain
read_domain read LONGXY and LATIXY fields
read_domain read EDGE[NESW]
read_domain read LANDMASK
read_domain compute lat[ns],lon[we] from edge[nesw]
celledge, using celledge_regional
read_domain compute cellarea with edge[nesw]
cellarea, using cellarea_global
AREAINI warning: conservation check not valid for
input grid of 720 x 360
output grid of 1 x 1
AREAINI warning: conservation check not valid for
input grid of 720 x 360
output grid of 1 x 1
areaini_pft error: w_ovr == nan!
FORTRAN STOP

Any clues and solutions to fix it will be appreciated.

slevis

I have no comments on the compiler warnings.

The areaini warnings are normal when you make a surface dataset that is not global.

Regarding the error that caused your run to stop:
areaini_pft error: w_ovr == nan!
Please post a copy of your namelist.

Thanks,
Sam Levis

Namelist file:

&clmexp
mksrf_fgrid = '../exec2/griddata_0001x0001.nc'
mksrf_fsoitex = '/mnt/data/clm35/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_soitex.10level.nc'
mksrf_fvegtyp = '/mnt/data/clm35/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_pft.060929.nc'
mksrf_fsoicol = '/mnt/data/clm35/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_soilcol.060929.nc'
mksrf_flanwat = '/mnt/data/clm35/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_lanwat.060929.nc'
mksrf_fmax = '/mnt/data/clm35/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_fmax.070406.nc'
mksrf_fglacier = '/mnt/data/clm35/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_glacier.060929.nc'
mksrf_furban = '/mnt/data/clm35/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_urban.060929.nc'
mksrf_flai = '/mnt/data/clm35/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_lai.nc'
mksrf_fdynuse = ' '
mksrf_gridtype = 'regional'
/

Please note: all of the raw data file are in right place. Thanks a lot!

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Thanks for reporting this. We've been able to replicate your problem, and we've added this to the clm3.5 Known bugs list.

http://swiki.ucar.edu/ccsm/143

This problem is unique to the PGI compiler, so if you can use a different compiler -- such as Lahey, things should work. It was also tested on IBM XLF compilers and the SGI compiler. Darwin (Mac OSX) XLF compilers, or Pathscale for Linux would be two other options to try. There are compiler flags for Sun and HP as well -- but they were NOT tested.

Good luck. Sorry about the problem..

Erik Kluzek

I'm a newer in runing clm3.5, and have never used this kind of models, so it is a hard task for me . would you like to tell me how to make and run this model step by step, and if it is possible please trasfer your files such as run-pc.csh to me . my Email is : xingmelody@gmail.com .thanks you so much !