Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Spin up problem

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
What version of the code are you using?
ctsm5.1.dev163-219-gbedf4fb6b

Have you made any changes to files in the source tree?
- Multiple changes in the nitrogen cycle

Describe your problem or question:
Hi,

As the suggestions on the guide book, we should respin-up the model after making any important modifications to the soil CN pools. I'm wondering about the settings of the default initial file of "
surfdata_isu_point_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c240809.nc" in my single site simulation case, how long it used to spin-up? Because my model reaches equilibrium after 200 years of AD mode and 113 years of normal spin-up but can't reach the same carbon stock as the default initial file.

best,

Jinmu

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question. What do you mean by default initial file of "surfdata_isu_point_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c240809.nc" . That is a surface dataset right? What initial file are you using?

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question. What do you mean by default initial file of "surfdata_isu_point_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c240809.nc" . That is a surface dataset right? What initial file are you using?
Hi

Sorry for the misunderstanding I made in the question above.
surfdata_isu_point_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c240809.nc is the default restart/initial file provided by CLM when creating a transient simulation case after 2000. I was asking how long CLM had to spin-up to obtain this initial file and what type of surface dataset it used.

best,

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I don't recognize that file name, can you point me to its location?

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
I don't recognize that file name, can you point me to its location?
Hi Keith,

I think it was subtracted from the file
/glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_map/release-clm5.0.18/surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_c190214.nc

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
That is a surface dataset that was subsettted from the global dataset you noted above. It doesn't contain any model initialization information. That info would come from the finidat specified in your case.