Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

SST and Sea Ice forcing data for 2019 and 2020.

Chaoqun Ma

Chaoqun Ma
Dear All,

I want to do CAM6 simulation for the year 2019 and 2020. I know I could get input for the atmophere by spin-up and nudging to MERRA2 analysis. Then, what about other components like ocean and sea-ice.

As I know, ocean and sea-ice use prescribed SST and sea-ice coverage as forcing data (the so-called "DOCN" and "CICE%PRES") for CAM runs. However, the prescribed sst_HadOIBl_bc forcing data is only available until year 2017 on https://svn-ccsm-inputdata.cgd.ucar.edu/. Latest HADOI data on ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/archive/SSTICE/ seems to have different grid and can not be precessed by CESM properly.

Do you know where I can find the proper forcing data if I want to do simualtions during year 2019 or 2020?

Thanks a lot.

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
I put a file on the ftp server:
ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/pub/hannay/

Jenny

Jiajun Liu
I put a file on the ftp server:
Dear hannay:
I also encountered the same problem. When I visited the FTP web you provided, I didn't find the data. In addition, can I use latest HADOI data on ftp://ftp.cgd.ucar.edu/archive/SSTICE/ to get 2019-2020 sst_HadOIBl_bc forcing data for cam? How to do it?

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
HI Jenny,

The ftp server gets scrubbed periodically.

I am copying over the files for 1850_2019 in:

If you want to create your own SST files using the latest HADOI data, you can use the scripts in the cesm release.
It will be in the directory:
components/cam/tools/icesst
Follow the instructions in the README file

Cecile