Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

surface forcing

Hi All,
I am trying to understand how the 'partially-coupled' option works. Is it possible to make simple restoring option in the coupled ocean-ice version of the ccsm/cesm (compset H)? Could somebody try to explain me how it work. I read shared documents and i am not sure i understand it. Also i have another question - what will happen if flxio in the surface fresh water flux file is equal zero?
I will be glad if somebody will try to explain me all details in this 'patrially-coupled' option.
Thank you in advance,
Jaromir

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Jaromir,This has gone unanswered for awhile as it was caught in the transition to the new bulletin board. The compset I believe you would like is the G compset, which is the coupled ice-ocean mode of CESM. The options for atmospheric forcing of this compset are with the Common Ocean Reference Experiment (CORE) forcing in the normal-year or interannually varying modes. These data are read in via the data atmosphere component. Another option that requires a bit of manual editing is to use output from the coupled model via coupler history files as the atmospheric forcing. The surface fluxes between the ice and ocean are computed prognostically in this mode. Surface restoring is sort of a separate topic. This is handled by the POP namelist and you can find the documentation for this in the POP reference guide. The default behavior in the coupled ice-ocean mode is to have weak salinity restoring at the surface only.Regards,Dave