Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Switching on aerosols

I wish to incorporate areosols in my work. Please tell me how to switch off background areosols and also how to specifically include different aerosols. If i try to switch on an aerosol like salt, the code aborts. Thanks in advance.

Try to just put them in a fincl history file. See the results and then decide if you want to do something else. The problem is that if you make special configuration with flags (In search options put aerosol CAM) you will have to declare dust bins (4) and there is where the problems arises...

Try to just put them in a fincl history file. See the results and then decide if you want to do something else. The problem is that if you make special configuration with flags (In search options put aerosol CAM) you will have to declare dust bins (4) and there is where the problems arise...

rneale

Rich Neale
CAM Project Scientist
Staff member
This is a big question. How do you want to incorporate aerosols.
-Prescribe them diagnostically (they do not change over time or are a set annual cycle)
-Prognose them (so they are advected around, added and remove from the atmosphere)
-Make them radiatively active (allow the raditation scheme to perform the direct effect calculation)
-Make them microphysically active (allow aerosols to act as CCN)
Some are all of this functionality is available in CAM (not all are available in CAM3 though)

Hi Rich,

Can you tell us how to put prescribed aerosols in CAM? Is it only by calling them in namelist?

Do you know any program to plot variables vertically? I want to do it for aerosols in for daily output

Thanks in advance!