Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

TAUX calculation

jma

Hi, we are trying to calculate windstress using the low-level winds (based on Wind Stresses computation) since TAUX was not saved in our runs. Could someone please point me to where TAUX is calculated in the source code (we are running CAM5 with climatological SSTs) as we're getting quite confusing results. Thanks! Julie

islas

I think for CESM1 this is done here ./models/csm_share/shr/shr_flux_mod.F90. But I think it's going to be really difficult to reconstruct TAUX after the fact. Since TAUX depends non-linearly on wind speed, you'd need to have high frequency wind speed output i.e., using daily averages isn't going to cut it. In addition, you'd need to know the stabilty and everything else that determines the friction velocity, Monin-Obhukov profiles and all that at each timestep. I'm not sure it'll really be possible without having the timestep frequency inputs to the flux calculation.