Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Temperature tendency budget in Held Suarez simulations

shiduan

ShihengDuan
Hi all,

I'm getting started with CESM2.1.5 and running a held-suarez test with the default settings (Eulerian spectral-transform dynamical core, T42z30_T42_mg17). I'm trying to understand the temperature tendency terms. Should I expect the total temperature tendency (given by TTEND) to be the sum of dycore tendency (DTCORE), diffusion (DTH) and relaxation (QRS)? I've done a quick check but these terms do not sum to the total tendency. Maybe I’m misunderstanding the tendency budget. Could someone help me with this?

Additionally, is my understanding correct that dycore tendency is related to advection?

Thanks!

islas

It is possible that DTCORE also includes the temperature tendency due to diffusion. Have you tried just adding up DTCORE and QRS and seeing whether they equal TTEND (i.e., excluding DTH)? I'm not certain but looking at the code it seems like DTCORE might be calculated as the difference in temperature between after the dycore and before the dycore, in which case I think it would also include the diffusive tendencies.

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote

aherring

Adam
I think Isla is correct, that the vertical diffusion (DTH) is not active in Held-Suarez, and that the only physics tendencies are QRS and the energy fixer EFIX. DTCORE is diagnosed as the state at the beginning of the physics at the current time-step minus the state at the end of the physics of the previous time-step, and represents the T-tendency due to the dynamical core.

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote

islas

I think the energy fixer should be off in Held-Suarez. That was definitely a decision that was made before. If it's on, I think that's unintentional. I suspect it's not on.

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote

shiduan

ShihengDuan
It is possible that DTCORE also includes the temperature tendency due to diffusion. Have you tried just adding up DTCORE and QRS and seeing whether they equal TTEND (i.e., excluding DTH)? I'm not certain but looking at the code it seems like DTCORE might be calculated as the difference in temperature between after the dycore and before the dycore, in which case I think it would also include the diffusive tendencies.
Here is a quick check on middle level (level 15) using DTCORE+QRS-TTEND:
Screenshot 2024-10-10 at 5.21.03 PM.png

I assume there should be another term for this residual, although the values are pretty small.

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote

shiduan

ShihengDuan
I just noticed there is another variable TTEND_TOT, which seems to be the sum of DTCORE+QRS.
I wonder what's the difference between TTEND_TOT and TTEND. When updating the temperature in the model, is the TTEND_TOT used or TTEND?

Thanks!

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote

aherring

Adam
TTEND should be similar to DTCORE -- it's the EUL dycore tendency computed in the dynamics, whereas DTCORE is the dycore tendency diagnosed on the physics side of the code. TTEND_TOT is the total T-tendency (dycore+physics) diagnosed on the physics side.

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote

shiduan

ShihengDuan
Hi Islas, could you also explain the PTTEND (physics tendency). I'm getting the same PTTEND as QRS. Why are these two terms the same?

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote

aherring

Adam
PTTEND and QRS should be the same, as PTTEND is the T-tendency due to the sum of all physics processes, and in Held Suarez there is only one physics process for temperature, QRS.

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote