Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

The landuse.timeseries file created with gen_CLMsrfdata cannot be used in cesm2_3_alpha016g

Lumoss

Hi, everyone:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask. I'm trying to create my own resolution, but the landuse.timeseries file created with gen_CLMsrfdata cannot be used in cesm2_3_alpha016g. ERROR: PCT_LAKE_MAX is not on landuse.timeseries fileERROR in surfrdMod.F90 at line 971. Maybe I should return an older version of CESM?

Thanks for looking!

Lumos

Lumoss

@Lumoss to use fsurdat files generated by mksurfdata_esmf with cesm2_3_alpha016g, you need code modifications mentioned here:
Coupled Sturm snow (f2000.ne30_t232.BGC_CROP_SturmSnowtk) · Issue #13 · NCAR/LMWG_dev (search for the string ctsm5.2)

A better alternative may be to generate your fsurdat files with the mksurfdata_map tool already available with cesm2_3_alpha016g.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply, here is a question, using mksurfdata_esmf, specifically to modify where the code? How do I use the mksurfdata_map tool already provided in cesm2_3_alpha016g? It does not seem to be the same as the mksurfdata_map tool provided by older versions of cesm.

Lumos

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
We don't see PCT_LAKE_MAX anywhere in that tag (cesm2_3_alpha16g), so we're not sure why you are getting that error you mention in your first post.

Lumoss

We don't see PCT_LAKE_MAX anywhere in that tag (cesm2_3_alpha16g), so we're not sure why you are getting that error you mention in your first post.
I used this file when I ran the CONUS case earlier, and it contains PCT_LAKE_MAX.

/cesminputdata/lnd/clm2/surfdata_esmf/ctsm5.2.0/landuse.timeseries_ne0np4CONUS.ne30x8_SSP5-8.5_78_CMIP6_1850-2100_c230530.nc

slevis

To use a ctsm5.2 file, you are definitely best off running the model from the ctsm5.2.mksurfdata branch. Ctsm5.1 needs a few hacks to work with ctsm5.2 files. However, the ctsm5.2.mksurfdata branch is not supported, yet, and may or may not work for you.

So back to the previous suggestion, I think you may be best off running the mksurfdata_map tool available in your model version to generate the fsurdat and landuse files that you need. Instructions for using the tool are in the clm user's guide.