Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

The option "--skip-preview-namelist" doesn't seem to work

dayon

In the recent CESM2.1.*, the last step of running case is "./case.submit". when seeing the help document of ./case.submit, a description of the option "skip-preview-namelist" is listed as follows:
--skip-preview-namelist
Skip calling preview-namelist during case.run.

however, it does NOT seem to work. because whether I add or not add this option, the implementation process always like below. Then, this series of "calling ..." seem to also occur when I only type "./preview_namelists", it seem to be odd. Could scientists give some advice? Thanks in advance.

dayon@R830:~/cesm2_1_3/cime/scripts/CLM50SpGs_r1D_ctl$ ./case.submit --skip-preview-namelist
Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (8388608, -1)
Creating component namelists
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/components/data_comps/datm/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/components/clm//cime_config/buildnml
WARNING: CLM is starting up from a cold state
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sice/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/components/stub_comps/socn/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/components/mosart//cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sglc/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/components/stub_comps/swav/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/components/stub_comps/sesp/cime_config/buildnml
Calling /home/dayon/cesm2_1_3/cime/src/drivers/mct/cime_config/buildnml
Finished creating component namelists

altuntas

Alper Altuntas
Staff member
preview_namelists gets called automatically during (1) case.build, (2) case.submit, and (3) case.run stages. Even though the "--skip-preview-namelist" flag is to be specified at (2) case.submit stage, it only prevents preview-namelist calls during the succeeding (3) case.run stage, i.e., during the actual batch job.

dayon

preview_namelists gets called automatically during (1) case.build, (2) case.submit, and (3) case.run stages. Even though the "--skip-preview-namelist" flag is to be specified at (2) case.submit stage, it only prevents preview-namelist calls during the succeeding (3) case.run stage, i.e., during the actual batch job.
Thanks for your reply, Alper Altuntas.