Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

This machine is not available for the target CIME_MODEL

mariuslam

Marius Lambert
Hello,

Me and the Oslo community are running CTSM on saga. When updating CTSM from dev079 to dev92, we get an ERROR message when running ./xmlchange and ./xmlquery, after the case has been built.

manage_externals was run, and cime is at version 6.0.15

The full message is: "ERROR: Could not initialize machine object from /cluster/home/marlam/CTSM_single_site_hardening_pv_cosmo_28_04/ccs_config/machines/config_machines.xml. This machine is not available for the target CIME_MODEL."

This shows up despite the machine files for saga (attached) downloaded to ~/HOME/.cime

Thanks for your help,

Marius

Attachments

• dotcime.zip
    111.7 KB · Views: 5

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Marius,

I tried to reproduce your issue by checking out ctsm5.1.dev092 and removing the machine definition for cheyenne from
ccs_config/machines/config_machines.xml and putting it in .cime/config_machines.xml
Creating a case with this configuration appears to work correctly.

I then tried changing the HOSTNAME_REGEX in the machine definition to $HOSTNAME as you have it set.
That generated the error that you report. Please either use the --machine option to create_newcase or provide a valid regex
to match the hostname on your system.

mariuslam

Marius Lambert
Hi,

Right now I use this command to create a case:
${path2}/cime/scripts/create_newcase --case ~/cases/${GRIDNAME}_${name} --compset ${compset0} --res CLM_USRDAT --machine saga --run-unsupported --project nn2806k.

When I remove <NODENAME_REGEX>$HOSTNAME</NODENAME_REGEX> from the machine file, I still get the same error.

Regards,

Marius

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry, I'm not able to reproduce this issue. Maybe try adding your machine definition to the
ccs_config/machines/config_machines.xml and see if it still gives that error.

mariuslam

Marius Lambert
Hi, Thanks for quick replies and having a look at it. We managed by specifying export CIME_MACHINE=saga, before creating the case etc.