Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Total dry matter accumulated by crops

knreddy

K Narender Reddy
It looks like you can get at this from the sum of the following:
  • GRAINC (total grain C); divide by 0.45 to get dry matter mass
  • AGLB (Aboveground leaf biomass)
  • AGSB (Aboveground stem biomass)
Make sure not to divide AGLB and AGSB by 0.45, because they're already in kg dry matter.

That said, I'm still familiarizing myself with a lot of CLM. Danica, could you check that I'm not missing anything? @dll@ucar_edu
What does the history field TOTALVEGC refer to? Can that be used to get the total amount of dry matter, like how GRAINC_TO_FOOD lets you get the yield?
@samrabin, @dll@ucar_edu

samrabin

Sam Rabin
Ah, good find. According to the list of output variables on the CTSM History Fields page, TOTVEGC is "total vegetation carbon, excluding cpool (gC/m2)." CPOOL is the "temporary photosynthate C pool (gC/m2)." So it seems like you can get what you want with TOTVEGC/0.45 + CPOOL.

There is also TOTPFTC ("total patch-level carbon, including cpool") and TOTPFTN ("total patch-level nitrogen"), but from the descriptions it's unclear whether those also include soil. From looking at the code, it seems like no for TOTPFTC, but it does include some accounting variables I'm not familiar enough with to say for sure. Perhaps you could try comparing TOTVEGC+CPOOL vs. TOTPFTC.

knreddy

K Narender Reddy
Thats interesting. I thought considering only the TOTVEGC would give the total dry matter. I have history fields on a daily time scale. How much difference would the addition of temporary photosynthate carbon to TOTVEGC make?

And I would compare TOTVEGC+CPOOL vs. TOTPFTC and get back with the results.

knreddy

K Narender Reddy
Here are the results. The plots show the difference between TOTVEGC+CPOOL vs. TOTPFTC for spring wheat and rice for a single growing year.

Attachments

• Diff_TOTVEGC_TOTPFTC_Rice.jpg
    Diff_TOTVEGC_TOTPFTC_Rice.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Diff_TOTVEGC_TOTPFTC_SW.jpg
    Diff_TOTVEGC_TOTPFTC_SW.jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 6