Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Using history files as ice initial condition

Camille013

Camille Hankel
Hi all,

I am trying to use a time-averaged .nc history file as an initial condition for a fully coupled (B1850 compset) CESM1 run. I set the namelist variable ice_ic to my file, but the model crashes during initialization without any error in the ice log file. In the ice log it just ends on the line: "Using restart dump= <my file>" Any thoughts on how to correctly initialize from my own nc file?

Camille

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Just talked to Keith Lindsay, and we don't have an easy way to initialize the CICE model from history files. The issue is enthalpy / energy. This was likely not saved in the history files and is a 4D field. I think you are better off using some other sea ice restart file from an existing B1850 run, or potentially just setting ice_ic to 'default' which is a simple internal initialization of the sea ice. Check the cesm log for other errors related to the sea ice. If this is a thermodynamic error, then something about your restart is not compatible.

Camille013

Camille Hankel
Got it, thanks. Just so I understand correctly, doing the internal sea ice initialization (i.e. setting ice_ic='default') would essentially initialize ice based on the SST initial condition? Trying to understand this because I believe I did such an initialization with my very warm (8xCO2) ocean initial condition, but it still initialized with a lot of sea ice.

Thank you again!

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You might need a code fix. The issue is the SST is not computed from the ocean before the sea ice is initialized. However, if you use Tair instead, this is better.