Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Using IOP specified U,V, and T at every time step in SCAM

r_a_khan

Ramsha Khan
Hello,

I am conducting some experiments using the dycomsRF01 IOP case for the single column model. I have noticed that in this particular IOP case, one of the default settings in the user modifications is: "scm_use_obs_T =.true."

Based on the namelist definitions, this means the model uses the SCAM-IOP specified T instead of using forecasted T at each time step.

However, in the IOP file for this case, T is given for a single time only, i.e. at that location the IOP file only contains T as a single dimension variable in terms of the altitude levels.

My question is, does this mean that the same temperature profile is being used at every time step in the default setting for the experiment? If so, to what extent can these results be used to gain meaningful insights? I am interested in looking at changes in the shortwave flux at the top of the atmosphere, when I perturb aerosol parameters and initial conditions.

As a little background, I am creating an ensemble using this IOP case for the single column model, to build an emulator. I have tried using scm_use_obs_T =.false., and nudging T to initial conditions, but the results are quite noisy for certain parameter perturbations and results are quite subpar in comparison.

Thanks in advance!
Ramsha