Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Using unit tests in CESM3

hannay

Cecile Hannay
AMWG Liaison
Staff member
What version of the code are you using?
CAM 6_3_076

Have you made any changes to files in the source tree?
N/A

Describe every step you took leading up to the problem:
Look at instructions for different CESM/CIME versions
This breaks build environment,

If this is a port to a new machine: Please attach any files you added or changed for the machine port (e.g., config_compilers.xml, config_machines.xml, and config_batch.xml) and tell us the compiler version you are using on this machine.
Please attach any log files showing error messages or other useful information.

N/A

Describe your problem or question:

This is a question I received from an user. I don't use unit tests. Could someone help with this?

To speed up debugging of the interpolation routines, I have been trying to set up a unit test. I see that there are some existing unit tests in the code, but I can't figure out how to run any of them. :) (I've found various partial versions of instructions for different CESM/CIME versions, but each variant I've tried winds up with some new and strange brokenness in my build environment, ha ha...)

It seems like the best target might be a clean checkout of CESM3, since that includes both a CAM version with the aviation code and (what appears to be) a more robust unit testing setup via fPUnit. (I also checked, and the interpolation routines in my CESM3 checkout are identical to the older CAM 6_3_076 I've been using for the contrail sims.)

Do you happen to know how to run unit tests in CESM3 or any other version that includes the aviation files? :) If not, maybe you can introduce me to someone at UCAR who might be familiar w/ that?