Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

vegetation type in CLM

Nastaranch

Nastaran Chitsaz
Hi there,

I am trying to use the output data of CLM models.
I was looking for the parameter which define the vegetation types.
I have found "pfts1d_itype_veg" parameter, but I am not sure if it is an appropriate one.
I was wondering if anyone can advice me any other useful parameters regarding vegetation types?
In addition I have found that "pfts1d_itype_veg" is in one dimension so I could not find any spatial and temporal variabilities.

Thanks,
Nas

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There should be a variable called "PCT_NAT_PFT" on the primary (h0) CLM history file:

float PCT_NAT_PFT(time, natpft, lat, lon) ;
PCT_NAT_PFT:long_name = "% of each PFT on the natural vegetation (i.e., soil) landunit" ;
PCT_NAT_PFT:units = "%" ;
PCT_NAT_PFT:cell_methods = "time: mean" ;
PCT_NAT_PFT:_FillValue = 1.e+36f ;
PCT_NAT_PFT:missing_value = 1.e+36f ;
PCT_NAT_PFT:landunit_mask = "unknown" ;

and if the BGC model is active, there is a variable called "PCT_CFT" for the crop types:

float PCT_CFT(time, cft, lat, lon) ;
PCT_CFT:long_name = "% of each crop on the crop landunit" ;
PCT_CFT:units = "%" ;
PCT_CFT:cell_methods = "time: mean" ;
PCT_CFT:_FillValue = 1.e+36f ;
PCT_CFT:missing_value = 1.e+36f ;
PCT_CFT:landunit_mask = "unknown" ;

I don't normally follow the Data Models Forum, so please post future CLM-related questions to the CLM Forum, thanks.