Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

what is the visible band in AODvstrt

Jinpeng Lu

AODvstrt's longname is Stratospheric Aerosol Optical Depth in visible band. I want to know the definition of visible band,
Is it a wavelength or a sum of wavelengths?

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi,

You can find the relevant calculations in $CAM/src/physics/cam/aer_rad_props.F90.

AODvstrt is calculated as
Code:
sum(tau(i,:troplev(i)))

Where the tau array is defined as "aerosol optical depth for the visible band"

Hope that helps.
Courtney

Jinpeng Lu

Hi,

You can find the relevant calculations in $CAM/src/physics/cam/aer_rad_props.F90.

AODvstrt is calculated as
Code:
sum(tau(i,:troplev(i)))

Where the tau array is defined as "aerosol optical depth for the visible band"

Hope that helps.
Courtney
Thanks, I found this one file with the relevant calculations. tau sums the AOD representing the visible bands of the stratosphere, and one of the variables here is nswbands, which I think is a numerical value. But I didn't find a specific value for this variable, so I can't know the range of visible light, for example the AOD at 997nm, or perhaps the AOD in the range 400-850nm.

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Assuming you're running with the RRTMG radiation package, this file will hopefully tell you what you need to know: $CAM/src/physics/rrtmg/radconstants.F90