Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

What parameters can be set to keep the model running for days?

CGL

CGL
Hi,all. I just port CESM2.1.3 in my cluster. I use case.submit to submit my task. I want to know What parameters can be set to keep the model running for days?

Because My task always stop after 24 hours. I know this reason is the JOB_WALLCLOCK_TIME=24:00:00.

My first try is set the : in .case.run. I get the error as below
1702809040058.png

My second try is that I change the JOB_WALLCLOCK_TIME=100-12:00:00. I et this error as below.
1702808924183.png

There is another way I have not try is set the RESUBMIT= A number. It will keep the model run? I want know the setting of the RESUBMIT parameter refers to whether the model restarts the operation or continues the previous resultant operation?

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
HI there,
Yes, most supers have a time limit on the jobs. So the computer will only allow the job to run for 12 or 24 hours, or whatever the limit is. To keep the model running, you must write out restart files that can be used to restart the model (REST_N and REST_OPTION) and then set RESUBMIT for the number of times you want the model to run again. So, for example, if you wanted to run from years 1850 to 2000, and that is 150 years. Suppose you can run 10 years in a 12 hour period on your machine. Then you would set STOP_N=10, STOP_OPTION=nyears, REST_N=10, REST_OPTION=nyears, RESUBMIT=14 and that will have the model run for 10+14*10 = 150 years.

Another note is that "restarts" in CESM mean that the model continues on from the point of the restart files, so continues the previous operation. This happens whenever CONTINUE_RUN=TRUE. If CONTINUE_RUN=FALSE, that is considered a "start up" run, and the model starts over from the beginning. Setting RESUBMIT will automatically set CONTINUE_RUN=TRUE and allow the model to continue running for as long as you resubmit.

Reactions: CGL