Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Where can I add a different batch scheduler in cesm2.3

MarkR_UoLeeds

Mark Richardson
Hello,
in CESM 2.1.3 we could add a new scheduler as long as we listed it in
cime/src/drivers/mct/cime_config/config_component.xml

however with the new 2.3.alpha08b there is a ccs_config for things like config_batch, config_machines, config_compiler XML files. That is okay but I still need to inform cime that we have SGE. not sure where to do that and my searches of the source tree have not revealed the location.

Does anyone have a solution? it is part of the definition of BATCH_SYSTEM :

<entry id="BATCH_SYSTEM">
<type>char</type>
<default_value>none</default_value>
<valid_values>nersc_slurm,lc_slurm,moab,pbs,lsf,slurm,cobalt,cobalt_theta,sge,none</valid_values>
<group>config_batch</group>
<file>env_batch.xml</file>
<desc>The batch system type to use for this machine.</desc>
</entry>

many thanks,
Mark

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Mark,

In cesm2.3 there are two drivers, the older mct driver is deprecated and will not be present in cesm3.x
It will be replaced by the nuopc driver which is the default in cesm2.3.alpha08

So for the nuopc driver you should add it to components/cmeps/cime_config/config_component.xml
and for the mct driver you add it to components/cpl7/driver/cime_config/config_component.xml

You should also be aware that the nuopc driver has an additional dependancy, it requires
ESMF8_2_0 or newer, available here.
Jim

MarkR_UoLeeds

Mark Richardson
thanks Jim.
I already use esmf 8.2.0 with our CESM installation. As for the batch scheduler: I will look in those components sub directories. I was not looking there only in "cime" locations. I did not consider components would define hte batch system.
Cheers,
Mark

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Mark - No, DIN_LOC_ROOT can share the same location between different cesm versions with no problem of conflicts.