Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Which compset to use for OMIP with the prescribed atmosphere?

Andy_Wai

Hello everyone,

I want to run the ocean model with a prescribed atmosphere using CESM 2.1.3 from 1980. Which compset needs to be chosen or how the namelist files needs to be modified?

I searched the CESM 2.1.3 compset webpage (CESM2 Component Sets Definition). There are two compsets that seem appropriate. However, the support levels are defined. Can I use these two compsets (or one of them) to conduct simulations? If yes, can I assess model outputs by making a comparison with satellite observations or in-situ measurements?

If no, I wonder if we have other choices of compset.

Alias: GOMIPECOIAF
Longname: OMIP_DATM%IAF_SLND_CICE_POP2%ECO_DROF%IAF_SGLC_WW3
Defind by: POP
Support level: Defined (Defined - The component set is defined but has not been tested.)

Value
Description
Initialization TimeOMIP1850: Pre-Industrial; 2000 present day:
Additional initialization times defined by components.
AtmosphereDATM%IAFData driven ATM COREv2 interannual forcing
LandSLNDStub land component
Sea-IceCICESea ICE (cice) model version 5
OceanPOP2%ECOPOP2 Ecosystem
River runoffDROF%IAFData runoff modelCOREv2 interannual year forcing:
Land IceSGLCStub glacier (land ice) component
WaveWW3

Alias: GOMIPECOIAF_JRA-1p4-2018
Longname: OMIP_DATM%JRA-1p4-2018_SLND_CICE_POP2%ECO_DROF%JRA-1p4-2018_SGLC_WW3
Defind by: POP
Support level: Defined (Defined - The component set is defined but has not been tested.)

Value
Description
Initialization TimeOMIP1850: Pre-Industrial; 2000 present day:
Additional initialization times defined by components.
AtmosphereDATM%JRA-1p4-2018Data driven ATM interannual JRA55 forcing, v1.4, through 2018
LandSLNDStub land component
Sea-IceCICESea ICE (cice) model version 5
OceanPOP2%ECOPOP2 Ecosystem
River runoffDROF%JRA-1p4-2018Data runoff modelJRA55 interannual forcing, v1.4, through 2018
Land IceSGLCStub glacier (land ice) component
WaveWW3

Thank you very much.

Andy

altuntas

Alper Altuntas
Staff member
Yes, you can use these compsets. The following one is preferable since it uses a newer version of JRA forcing: GOMIPECOIAF_JRA-1p4-2018