Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Why ATM_CO2 is 0?

Xiao-Yuan

Xiao-Yuan Zhu
Hi, all.

I want to do some sensitivity tests with only ocean modules and MARBL. I set the compset is SSP585_DATM%NYF_SLND_CICE_POP2_DROF%NYF_SGLC_WW3_BGC%BPRP. When I set the 'OCN_CO2_TYPE=prognostic', the 'ATM_CO2' in the output files is 0.

Why does this occur and how to fix it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Yuan

klindsay

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
BPRP compsets are intended for when you have an active atmospheric model that prognostically advects an atmospheric CO2 tracer/constituent, uses this tracer for radiative computations and passes the tracer values to the land and ocean models for use in their BGC modules. The surface models are using the co2 prog field from the flux coupler in their computations. It looks like datm is not passing the SSP585 CO2 values in the co2 prog field and it is zero. This makes sense, since datm doesn't have a prognostic CO2 tracer to pass. I suggest using BDRD instead of BPRP, and I expect that datm will pass the SSP585 values in the co2 diag field.

More information about BPRP vs BDRD is available in this year's CESM tutorial pages.