Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

why is qflx_evap_veg > 0 when h2ocan = fwet = 0???

The calculation of intercepted canopy water evaporation, 'qflx_evap_veg' in CanopyFluxesMod.F90 (CLM3.5) is confusing me beyond end. The following are true for a particular time step:

h2ocan(p) = 0
fwet = 0
efpot > 0
btran(p) > 0

Given the above, the fraction of pot. evap. from the leaf, rpp, is calculated as:

rpp = rppdry + fwet(p)
rpp = min(rpp, (qflx_tran_veg(p)+h2ocan(p)/dtime)/efpot)

As qflx_evap_veg is :

qflx_evap_veg = rpp*efpot

CLM calculates a non-zero, positive qflx_evap_veg flux even though fwet = 0 and h2ocan = 0. What is going on? Why is qflx_evap_veg not:

qflx_evap_veg = efpot*fwet? Or at least rpp = 0 when fwet = 0?

Is this related to a forced method of closing the canopy EB? Am I confusing myself, and qflx_evap_veg is total ET from the vegetation? I have been under the assumption that qflx_evap_veg and qflx_tran_veg are E_v^w and E_v^t, respectively, in Eq. 5.85 from the Oleson et al. (2004) Tech. Description of the CLM...

okay, now I see from Biogeophysics2Mod.F90 that qflx_evap_veg is total canopy ET, and that qflx_evap_veg - qflx_tran_veg is the intercepted canopy water evap. *whew* it would be helpful in the variable defs in CanopyFluxesMod if instead of 'vegetation evaporation' for 'qflx_evap_veg' it would read 'vegetation evapotranspiration'