Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Wind Forcing to Phillips 2 layer model.

Shikhar Rai

Shikhar Rai
In the Phillips 2 layer ocean only model, do MOM6 have the option of changing the wind forcing with to relative and absolute winds? Also how do I prescribe the time changing winds to the configuration? I want for force Phillips 2 layer model with a jet in atmosphere that changes its magnitude with time.

Thank you!

First, understand how it is currently being forced. There is a MOM6/src/user/Phillips_initialization.F90 so figure out what is in there. It looks like there is a sponge that it uses. In MOM_input, there are several CONFIG choices that are set to phillips, none of which are direct wind forcing.

So, computing wind stresses from winds and all the other atmospheric fields happens in SIS2, not in MOM6. You can run a coupled model with applied winds from a time-dependent file.

You might also look at MOM_controlled_forcing.F90 in that user directory to see if you can apply your desired wind stress that way.

Shikhar Rai

Shikhar Rai
Thank you Kshedstorm. I found that we could change the WIND_CONFIG parameter to "file" and was able to run with prescribed wind stress. However, the prescribed wind stress is not relative wind stress. I see that there is a file MOM6/config_src/solo_driver/user_surface_forcing.F90 or MOM6/config_src/solo_driver/MOM_surface_forcing.F90 which I am thinking to edit. Can I email you if I require help in editing the file?

Actually, we prefer that things stay out here so that it is searchable by others who have similar problems.

Also, others know more about MOM6 than I do and could answer instead.