Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Wrong time stamps running CESM2.1.3

dliu

Dunyu Liu
Dear community,

My colleagues and I are running CESM2.1.3 on Lonestar 6 at TACC UT Austin using compset 'BSSP370cmip6' and resolution 'f09_g17'. We modified the user name lists for more variables and frequencies (attached). We encountered this problem that the CAM daily output (every 5 days per file) show wrong time stamps as shown in the following screenshot.
1678134285814.png

The wrong time stamp issue also happens to 6-hourly output. Monthly, 3 hourly and interestingly, daily output every 365 days per file don't have the issue. The results of 'ncdump -v time filename' for other frequencies are also attached (results-ncdump-v-time.txt).

Regardless of the wrong time stamps, results like time series of TREFHT look fine.

After some communications with CESM experts, the issue seems to happen to Frontera at TACC once. We don't have an answer for this yet. If anyone would have any idea on what's going on, we very much appreciate your help and comment!

Many thanks,
Dunyu

Attachments

• results-ncdump-v-time.txt
    125.3 KB · Views: 0
  • user_nl_cam.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 0

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Dunyu

Thanks for pointing out this problem. This looks like an important bug to fix to me.

I'd like you to try to simplify your case as much as possible to see where it happens. This looks like it's a problem in CAM, so run a simpler F compset and see if it shows up in lower resolutions for the same output frequency. Since, this is cesm2.1.3 which is now fairly old, it's possible this has been fixed. So go to the CAM github page and see if you can find an issue for it.

I looked and didn't, but good to have more people do the same..

I'm pointing CAM people to this issue so we'll see what they find.

dliu

Dunyu Liu
Hi Dunyu

Thanks for pointing out this problem. This looks like an important bug to fix to me.

I'd like you to try to simplify your case as much as possible to see where it happens. This looks like it's a problem in CAM, so run a simpler F compset and see if it shows up in lower resolutions for the same output frequency. Since, this is cesm2.1.3 which is now fairly old, it's possible this has been fixed. So go to the CAM github page and see if you can find an issue for it.

I looked and didn't, but good to have more people do the same..

I'm pointing CAM people to this issue so we'll see what they find.
Thanks much, Erik

It happens that I am running this f.e21.FWHISTBgcCrop.f09_f09_mg17.CMIP6-AMIP-WACCM.001 model. I see the same errors in day_5 and day_1 outputs.
1678228973355.png
1678229004658.png

I informed our colleagues at TACC and we currently suspect the cause may come from pnetcdf version. I will let you know if we have any progress. I will take a look at CAM github page as well.

Thanks,
Dunyu

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It might be good to turn pnetcdf off then in your case and see what happens. There's variables to do that for each component in
PIO_TYPENAME. You should set it to netcdf and see what it does.