Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Abberant Infiltration rates as snow melts

mariuslam

Marius Lambert
Hi @oleson,

I have some single site results in a cold site and it seems like the infiltration is around 2000mm/day during a couple of days after snow melts.
It happens each simulation year.
Is this maybe due to the model version I am using ? ctsm5.1.dev020-166-g1571e21, I checked and don't think any fix has been made?

Is there anything more I could check?

Cheers,

Marius

Attachments

• 1x1_Yakutsk_era_QINFL.png
    1x1_Yakutsk_era_QINFL.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1x1_Yakutsk_era_SNOWDP.png
    1x1_Yakutsk_era_SNOWDP.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1x1_Yakutsk_era_TSL.png
    1x1_Yakutsk_era_TSL.png
    296.1 KB · Views: 1

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm not aware of any problems or fixes associated with infiltration. Maybe it has something to do with surface water storage. You could check the terms for infiltration to see which is the major contributing factor:

qflx_infl(c) = qflx_in_soil_limited(c) + qflx_h2osfc_drain(c)

Any ideas @swensosc ?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If the problem is in FATES-Hydro then I guess post on the FATES boards.

mariuslam

Marius Lambert
Ok I should rectify, it does happen in Fates without hydro as well.
It has more likely something to do with the PFTs present on the site, I notice if only evergreen needleleaf, then the rates of Infiltration are highest