Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

about prescribing soil moisture while running CAM4

Dear all,

I was trying to run CAM4 while prescribing liquid soil moisture at every timestep. The run failed while it was calling dyn_run rountine (located in this file: /dynamics/fv/dyn_comp.f90). I am not sure if this is due to the fact that I am using the default finite-volume dynamical core. I thought it would complain about water-balance or energy-balace, similar to what I have been through using cam3 (but EUL core).

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Thank you very much!

Rui

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
The soil moisture is the responsibility of the land component, and presumably is felt by cam via the sensible and latent heat fluxes and the water vapor flux. But I don't think the dycore deals directly with any of these quantities. It is probably the vertical diffusion code that puts the heat and water fluxes into the boundary layers. Perhaps this is producing a bad temperature or moisture value which is causing trouble in the dycore which converts temperature to virtual potential temperature... ?