Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

AMIP HadISST boundary conditions issue

shivr

Shiv Priyam Raghuraman
Hi,

We are doing an AMIP run with HadISST lower boundary conditions in CAM6. However, a few minutes after submitting the case the run aborts. The log file says that something is going wrong with the time interpolation:

2: ERROR: (shr_tInterp_getFactors) itime2 < itime1

The error is coming from the data ocean model. You can see it in the log file:
/glade/scratch/shivr/f.e21.F1850_BGC.f09_f09_mg17.CFMIP-hadisst-piForcing/run/ocn.log.2799533.chadmin1.ib0.cheyenne.ucar.edu.230823-013231

It looks like it is trying to interpolate between two times that are both 0, so it makes sense that it would freak out. It's probably an issue with
/glade/work/brianpm/cesm_release/components/cam/tools/icesst/bcgen/sstice_ts.nc

We're not seeing anything wrong with the file's time or date variables. So we're a bit stuck. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Priyam and Brian

jiamengl

Jiameng Lai
Hello, I wonder that if you have figured out what's wrong with this and how to fix it? I may run into the same problem

brianpm

Hi all,
I believe that we resolved this issue. I think the problem that Priyam was reporting was a symptom of something else going wrong in the setup of the run (Priyam can correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly).

For those looking into using HadISST or other data, here are the steps we used.
- Downloaded HadISST monthly data on 1° grid: Met Office Hadley Centre observations datasets
- Preprocess the downloaded file:
+ rename dimensions to lat, lon
+ rename variables (to "SST" and "SEAICE")
+ make sure SEAICE is in percent
+ make sure lat is -90 to 90
+ make sure lon is 0 to 360
+ construct date and datesec fields
- We then follow the instructions in the CAM tools/icesst README file. Note that we had to modify the Makefiles in bcgen and regrid to use the intel fortran compiler (ifort).

shivr

Shiv Priyam Raghuraman
Yes, we resolved the issue by 1) creating a new case and 2) after creating the boundary condition file as Brian outlines above, copy it to a more permanent folder and have your run point there. We think an issue may have been that the run was pointing to the boundary condition file in /bcgen after it was created.