Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Any way to output potential evapotranspiration (PET) in CLM5?

Hi all, I'm just wondering if there is any way to output potential evapotranspiration (PET) in CLM5 with compset I2000Clm50BgcCrop? I already outputted evapotranspiration (ground evaporation + vegetation evaporation + vegetation transpiration), but I do not see how and where CLM calculates their counterparts in 'potential' terms. Thanks!

Shirley

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
CLM doesn't use the potential evaporation concept, so there aren't any readily available output variables for that. One could maybe find a way to calculate unstressed versions of the evaporation terms by eliminating the stress terms, but probably not easily done.

msulis

Mauro
Hi Keith, I am coming back to the above question. Would "efpot" local variable in PhotosynthesisMod.F90 suitable for this purpose? Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Best,
Mauro

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
My understanding is that PET is the ET in the absence of soil moisture limitation, so it depends on the particular ET equation and the soil moisture stress equation. One could write an equivalent equation for CLM, but then would have to calculate stomatal conductance in the absence of soil moisture stress.
efpot in CLM is just atmospheric demand.

dayon

My understanding is that PET is the ET in the absence of soil moisture limitation, so it depends on the particular ET equation and the soil moisture stress equation. One could write an equivalent equation for CLM, but then would have to calculate stomatal conductance in the absence of soil moisture stress.
efpot in CLM is just atmospheric demand.
Hi, Oleson, Would you like to explain the difference between the qflx_evap_can (evaporation from leaves and stems) and the qflx_evap_veg (vegetation evaporation)? which of two is interception loss?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry for the slow response, out on vacation.
qflx_evap_can is evaporation from leaves and stems (so, interception loss).
qflx_evap_veg is transpiration plus evaporation from leaves and stems (total evaporation from vegetation).