Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Array Indexing

Hello Folks,

I was hoping that you would be able to help me. I'm trying to write a simple modification for POP to cap the SST of a region. I've got the mod working universally (i.e. over the global surface), but I am having no luck on specifying a reduced geographical region.

I'd assumed that I could use the array indexing to specify the region, but I suspect that when the processing is distributed to the multiple CPUs the array size reduces. Does anybody know if this is true, and (more helpfully) how I get the mod to only operate over a subset of the domain?

Cheers,
Chris

So I've found one possible solution. "use grid", which is called by every routine, provides the longitude and latitude of the sub-domain. So my mod has a laborious do loop in it:

do i=1,imt
do j=1,jmt
if ((TLAT(i,j).GT.-23.5).AND.(TLAT(i,j).LT.23.5).AND.
& (TLONG(i,j).GT.90.0).AND.(TLONG(i,j).GT.165.0)) then

Please get in touch if you know of a better way of doing this kind of regional specification in POP.

Cheers,
Chris
chrisbrierley said:
Hello Folks,

I was hoping that you would be able to help me. I'm trying to write a simple modification for POP to cap the SST of a region. I've got the mod working universally (i.e. over the global surface), but I am having no luck on specifying a reduced geographical region.

I'd assumed that I could use the array indexing to specify the region, but I suspect that when the processing is distributed to the multiple CPUs the array size reduces. Does anybody know if this is true, and (more helpfully) how I get the mod to only operate over a subset of the domain?

Cheers,
Chris