Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

ask for help to look the problem in configure CAM5 standalone

dear all,
I'm trying to build CAM5 standalone following the CAM5-userguide.
when i type:"$configure -dyn fv -hgrid 10x15 -nospmd -nosmp -test"
the error is reported as:
/u/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/configure -hgrid 10x15 -cice_mode prescribed -ntr_aero 0 -ntasks 1 -nthreads 1 -cache config_cache_cice.xml -cachedir /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld
configure done.
creating /u/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld/Filepath
creating /u/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld/Makefile
creating /u/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld/config_cache.xml
Looking for a valid GNU make... using gmake
Testing for Fortran 90 compatible compiler... **** FAILED ****
Issued the command:
gmake -f /u/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld/Makefile test_fc 2>&1

The output was:
/u/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld/mkSrcfiles > /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld/configure-tests/Srcfiles
/u/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld/mkDepends Filepath Srcfiles > /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld/configure-tests/Depends
xlf90_r -c -qsuffix=f=f90:cpp=F90 -I. -I/u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld/configure-tests -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include -WF,-DNO_SHR_VMATH -WF,-DSEQ_MCT -WF,-DFORTRAN_SAME -WF,-DCO2A -WF,-DMAXPATCH_PFT=numpft+1 -WF,-DLSMLAT=1 -WF,-DLSMLON=1 -WF,-DPLON=24 -WF,-DPLAT=19 -WF,-DPLEV=30 -WF,-DPCNST=25 -WF,-DPCOLS=16 -WF,-DPTRM=1 -WF,-DPTRN=1 -WF,-DPTRK=1 -WF,-DSTAGGERED -WF,-DCCSMCOUPLED -WF,-Dcoupled -WF,-Dncdf -WF,-DNCAT=1 -WF,-DNXGLOB=24 -WF,-DNYGLOB=19 -WF,-DNTR_AERO=0 -WF,-DBLCKX=24 -WF,-DBLCKY=19 -WF,-DMXBLCKS=1 -WF,-DDUST -WF,-DPROGSSLT -WF,-DMODAL_AERO -WF,-DMODAL_AERO_3MODE -WF,-D_USEBOX -WF,-D_NETCDF -WF,-DAIX -WF,-DHIDE_MPI,-D_MPISERIAL,-DNO_MPI2 -q64 -qarch=auto -qspillsize=2500 -g -qfullpath -O2 -qstrict -Q test_fc.F90
** m1 === End of Compilation 1 ===
** main === End of Compilation 2 ===
1501-510 Compilation successful for file test_fc.F90.
xlf90_r -o test_fc test_fc.o -q64 -lmassv -bdatapsize:64k -bstackpsize:64k -btextpsize:32k -lmass -lessl
ld: 0706-014 The -b datapsize option is not recognized.
ld: 0706-014 The -b stackpsize option is not recognized.
ld: 0706-014 The -b textpsize option is not recognized.
gmake: *** [test_fc] Error 255

What does this error mean? and what should i do to resolve this problems?
I can run cam3 successuflly in this mechine, so is there any other requirement for compilation in CAM5?
Looking forwards your replying. and thanks very much.

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
The xlf90 compiler is passing the following options to the linker which are apparently not being recognized:

ld: 0706-014 The -b datapsize option is not recognized.
ld: 0706-014 The -b stackpsize option is not recognized.
ld: 0706-014 The -b textpsize option is not recognized.

These options were added for running on NCAR's IBM Power6 platform. It is entirely for performance, so if these options aren't recognized on your platform then just remove them from the Makefile. The best way to do this would be to edit the file in models/atm/cam/bld/Makefile.in. In the AIX section edit the LDFLAGS setting by removing the options

-bdatapsize:64k -bstackpsize:64k -btextpsize:32k

Dear eaton,
thanks for your reply, i removed the options, and then the serial configure is done.
when i move to the parallel configration through "configure -dyn fv -hgrid 10x15 -ntasks 6 -nosmp -test"
an error in CICE occured as follows:
Issuing command to the CICE configure utility:
/u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/configure -hgrid 10x15 -cice_mode prescribed -ntr_aero 0 -v -ntasks 6 -nthreads 1 -cache config_cache_cice.xml -cachedir /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld

"my" variable $hgrid masks earlier declaration in same scope at /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/configure line 315.
Setting CICE configuration script directory to /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld
Setting CICE root directory to /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4
Setting CICE build directory to /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld
The configuration cache file will be created in /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld/config_cache_cice.xml
Horizontal grid specifier: 10x15.
cice : mode is prescribed
cice : ncat is 1
cice : grid is 10x15
cice : nlon is 24
cice : nlat is 19
Can't exec "/u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/generate_cice_decomp.pl": The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. at /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/configure line 446.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/configure line 449.
Use of uninitialized value in split at /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/configure line 458.
ERROR: is not a valid value for parameter cice_decomptype: valid values are cartesian,spacecurve,rake,roundrobin
configure: CICE configure returned: 3328

and, if i go into the cice configure and adopt "use diagnostics" , then the error shows as follows:

Issuing command to the CICE configure utility:
/u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/configure -hgrid 10x15 -cice_mode prescribed -ntr_aero 0 -v -ntasks 6 -nthreads 1 -cache config_cache_cice.xml -cachedir /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/atm/cam/bld
couldn't find diagnostic data in /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.0/pods/perldiag.pod /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.0/aix-thread-multi /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.0 /usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.0/aix-thread-multi /usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/opt/perl5/lib/site_perl . /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/configure at /usr/opt/perl5/lib/5.8.0/diagnostics.pm line 252, line 579.
Compilation failed in require at /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/configure line 35, line 579.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/configure line 35, line 579.
configure: CICE configure returned: 512

I found the similar question at http://forum.cgd.ucar.edu/showthread.php?1860-problem-when-configure-CESM1_02 , which is resolved by download a new version.
I am using the nearest release version cesm1_0_4, and download a clean version (not update to) from: https://svn-ccsm-release.cgd.ucar.edu/model_versions/cesm1_0_4/ , and still have the error.
Could you help to find what's wrong here?

I skip the "configure -fc " test because-fc option only recognized when target OS is linux. Is it related to the error above, or should i use another command option to specifying the fortran compiler ?

Thank you!

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
The configure command that you used works for me.

The problem seems to be that the file /u/zhongqi/cesm1_0_4/models/ice/cice/bld/generate_cice_decomp.pl does not have execute permissions. I don't know how that would happen, but check the file permissions and make sure you can execute it.