Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Attempting to run the model with custom grid and land mask

I've created a custom land mask and grid for a particular area that is of interest to my research.When attempting to run the model with this land mask and grid, an error occurs in the ice-log file that is created.The model reads all of the values of my land mask and grid in as '0' instead of the values in the netCDF file I created.Does anybody have any suggestions or any explanation why my grid isn't being read correctly? Thank you,Sigourney Stelma

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Sigourney,Are you pointing both the ocean and ice models to the modified land mask? Compare the pop2_in and ice_in namelists. The CESM driver is currently configured so that the ocean and ice must run on the same grid with the same land mask.Dave

Dave,Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm running CICE alone. I fashioned my netCDF grid and kmt files after the included 'gx3' grid and kmt files.
The only real difference is in the grid file, since i'm not using POP, i set all of the values of 'angle' to 0.
- Sigourney

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you are using the D compset of CESM, the DOCN still needs to be on the same grid as CICE. You also still need a valid angle field as this determines how the vectors are oriented along the curvilinear grid. Without seeing exactly what you are doing, I can't really help. Also, this is a configuration that is not supported.Dave