Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Availability of CESM1 and CESM2 Models for Higher Spatial and Time Resolution

skaiser1084

Samiul Kaiser
Hello All, I have some questions regarding the aforementioned topic.

1. Can anybody give some ideas about the availability of CESM2 GCM results with a spatial resolution of 50 km (~0.5 degree) for time resolution of 3 hours (precipitations) or higher? And also how we can get access to them if available? As per my knowledge all of the CESM2 Large Ensemble simulations use nominal 1 degree resolution.
2. Can anyone please give suggestions about using CESM1 or CESM2 considering the higher spatial resolution at the same time resolution (3hr and higher)? I mean what would be the advice regarding use of CESM1 vs CESM2?
3. Can you please ensure whether CESM1 has simulations for CMIP6 and with sub-daily precipitation data (3hr/ 6hr/12hrs)?
4. There appears to be only monthly data is available at CMIP6 data portal for the HighResMIP contributions. Can anybody provide some idea about availability of sub-daily precipitations data?

Warm regards.

strandwg

Staff member
Hello All, I have some questions regarding the aforementioned topic.

1. Can anybody give some ideas about the availability of CESM2 GCM results with a spatial resolution of 50 km (~0.5 degree) for time resolution of 3 hours (precipitations) or higher? And also how we can get access to them if available? As per my knowledge all of the CESM2 Large Ensemble simulations use nominal 1 degree resolution.
2. Can anyone please give suggestions about using CESM1 or CESM2 considering the higher spatial resolution at the same time resolution (3hr and higher)? I mean what would be the advice regarding use of CESM1 vs CESM2?
3. Can you please ensure whether CESM1 has simulations for CMIP6 and with sub-daily precipitation data (3hr/ 6hr/12hrs)?
4. There appears to be only monthly data is available at CMIP6 data portal for the HighResMIP contributions. Can anybody provide some idea about availability of sub-daily precipitations data?

Warm regards.

CESM1 was not used for CMIP6 except for HighResMIP, and all available HighResMIP data are on ESGF.